Please share this message with members particularly those on casual and precarious contracts.
- Are you on a casual contract in HE or FE?
- Does your work far exceed your hourly pay?
- Are you on a secure contract but know of teachers/lecturers who are employed on casual contracts in your institution?
- In the North West we are planning set up a network of UCU members on precarious employment contracts to enable members to share experiences and work with the union to tackle insecurity of employment. If you would like to get involved email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Did you know…
- 46% of universities and 60% of colleges use zero hours contracts to deliver teaching.
- 68% of research staff in higher education are on fixed term contracts, with many more dependent on short-term funding for continued employment
- Many teaching and lecturing staff are not actually paid for planning and preparation (it’s often included in the rate of pay) which could mean when weighed up, some staff may well be working for below the living wage.
- UCU believes that high quality education and fair working conditions depend on contracts that give staff stability and continuity of employment. Casualisation is bad for staff and bad for education, yet it’s endemic in our colleges and universities.
- UCU is working to bring an end to this by building a network to support our members on precarious contacts. We need members on secure contracts to get behind this and support members who are not.
This year, let us all pledge to speak up for precarious workers in our organisations by;
- Talking to staff in your faculty/department on precarious contracts
- Promoting the network at branch meetings
- Emailing your branch chair/secretary
- Getting the word out through recruitment events, leafleting.
- Pledge your support on Twitter/Facebook
If you are on a precarious contract, want to make a difference and get involved in the UCU North West anti-casualisation network please register your interest by emailing email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
UCU North West Regional Committee Anti-Casualisation Officer